ANNOUNCEMENTS

Subscribe to my other blog: http://lostlivesontheline.blogspot.com
Life's journey through the lyrics of Bruce Springsteen - 4 to "Z"ero

And follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/thunderroad79

Thursday, September 3, 2009

POEM

This poem was inspired by Flannery O'Connor's short story "You Can't Be Any Poorer Than Dead":

My great grandpa
Was a simple man
Raised me the only way he could

Thought my father
A vicious man
Taught me what a man should

The day he died
I was left alone
Save for the voice inside

What’s black has faded
What’s clean is stained
For the first time, that day I cried

3 comments:

  1. Like the "What's black has faded, What's clean is stained" irony at the end. This was a very sad poem, but good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good one.

    question: the first word of second paragraph - should it be though instead of thought? i don't know poetry so don't get mad... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sarah, I don't mind corrections :-)
    but it should be thought. As in His Grandpa thought his father was a vicious man" - it's carried forward from the first verse and the grandpa taught him what a man should...but I can see why the confusion...

    ReplyDelete